Tuesday 8 February 2011

iPhone Confessions

A few weeks ago I blogged about an iPhone app called Penance. Now a new app has hit the market called Confession: A Roman Catholic App and this one comes with the blessing of the church, or so its creators claim.

Confession is described on the iTunes site as follows:
confessionDesigned to be used in the confessional, this app is the perfect aid for every penitent. With a personalized examination of conscience for each user, password protected profiles, and a step-by-step guide to the sacrament, this app invites Catholics to prayerfully prepare for and participate in the Rite of Penance. Individuals who have been away from the sacrament for some time will find Confession: A Roman Catholic App to be a useful and inviting tool.
The text of this app was developed in collaboration with Rev. Thomas G. Weinandy, OFM, Executive Director of the Secretariat for Doctrine and Pastoral Practices of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and Rev. Dan Scheidt, pastor of Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Mishawaka, IN. The app received an imprimatur from Bishop Kevin C. Rhodes of the Diocese of Fort Wayne – South Bend. It is the first known imprimatur to be given for an iPhone/iPad app.
- Custom examination of Conscience based upon age, sex, and vocation (single, married, priest, or religious)
- Multiple user support with password protected accounts
- Ability to add sins not listed in standard examination of conscience
- Confession walkthrough including time of last confession in days, weeks, months, and years
- Choose from 7 different acts of contrition
- Custom interface for iPad
- Full retina display support
The Confession app could be seen as a serious attempt to take up Pope Benedict’s challenge for Christians to embrace all things digital. However, it could be just one more product jumping on the burgeoning market in products encouraging people to bare their souls for the purposes of entertainment. There are a variety of these products available from the iTunes app store including iConfess and Confession Booth.

I welcome anything that helps people in their Christian discipleship, my Bible apps are a must on my Blackberry, and there are plenty of useful resources out there. I do hope the Confession App doesn’t treat faith and spirituality as a game and I will watch the reviews with interest. I confess I’m not tempted to part with $1.99 to find out more and not just because I don’t have an iPhone.

For some really useful resources why not check out Big Bible and Biblefresh. One of my favourite and most used applications is You Version.

Update: One of the developers of Confession has been in touch to leave the following comment for which I am grateful:
I'm one of the developers of the app. Thanks for not assuming things about the app (as I've seen happen on my twitter feeds). The app is not a joke, but is meant to truly help individual reflect on their life. Nothing is ever shared or transmitted from the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. All user info is password protected and once a person walks their way through the confession all of the sins are erased. Let me know if you have other questions.

4 comments:

Chip said...

I'm one of the developers of the app. Thanks for not assuming things about the app (as I've seen happen on my twitter feeds). The app is not a joke, but is meant to truly help individual reflect on their life. Nothing is ever shared or transmitted from the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. All user info is password protected and once a person walks their way through the confession all of the sins are erased. Let me know if you have other questions.

Nancy Wallace said...

Reassuring to hear from 'Chip' that 'all of the sins are erased' once a person 'walks their way through the confession'. Reminds me of 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and clesne us from all unrighteousness". Anything that helps us be honest about our sin and helps us let go of them is to be welcomed.

Philip Ritchie said...

Thanks Chip for the information. I'll add an update to my post. Would you or a colleague be interested in doing a guest post on my blog about the idea behind Confession? If so please let me have contact details. My twitter name is philritchie if that helps.

Jason said...

There is also a free app for Android devices called PenanceProject. It is meant to be used before and after confession, not during. You also do not input sins into the app.

The application is available here: https://market.android.com/details?id=appinventor.ai_jamorrow.PenanceProject

To find out more about The Penance Project please visit: http://www.thepenanceproject.org