Friday 20 February 2009

restless - william boyd


Just finished Restless by William Boyd and it was an excellent read. I can't decide whether Boyd or Ian McEwan is the best English fiction writer around at the moment. What both authors have going for them is a mastery of the craft of storytelling allied with wonderful prose. It always takes me longer to read their books because I can't just dash through the plot, I want to enjoy the writing.

Anyway, the plot of Restless is a cracker. The story interweaves events during WWII in Europe and the U.S.A. with England in the summer of 1976. The two central characters are very strong females, sympathetically drawn against the backdrop of the dark world of the spy. Can't say too much more without spoiling the story but I highly recommend it. What's more I got my copy in Oxfam for £1!

No comments: